I am working on a redesign project for a CMSMadeSimple website and today I planned to upgrade the version. The website is running for two years and until today no updates have been installed. CMSMadeSimple version 1.4 “Jamaica” has just been released and because I want to add couple of new CMSMadeSimple modules I will first need to get the version up to date. The process is really straight forward and it took me 15 minutes in total.
- Download the latest version from here–> cmsmadesimple-1.4-full.tar.gz
- Extract the file with 7z and upload the content to your webserver by using ftp,sftp, ssh.
- I am using WinSCP to the files to my linux box. I dragged the files from left pane (my c drive) to right pane where the current CMSMadeSimple files were located. At some point I was asked to overwrite files and I clicked yes.
- Go to your admin page.
- I have couple of warnings I need to solve like removing the install directory and the “Site Down for Maintainance” message but most important is that you perfom the CMSMS schema upgrade. Click Start Upgrade Process.
- Verify your config.php is writable.
- I checked my config file from ssh console and the permissions were not configured as required.
root@ubuntu-jeos-7:/var/www/cmsmadesimple-1.2.5/hubo-roneijgelsheim/site# ls config.php -all
-rw-r–r– 1 root root 5829 2008-08-06 10:16 config.php
- To fix this problem I executed: chmod 777 config.php; chown www-data config.php and chgrp www-data config.php
- I went back and click “Try Again” in the Upgrade System wizard.
- The schema version was upgraded to 31 and now I could finish the upgrade by clicking on the last step.
- Setup Finished all required steps in the upgrade process and my website was up and running and up to date.
- I fixed my other two warnings and my site is now secure, updated and most important the process went very smooth.