If you are working with a virtualization platform then most of the time some components are needed for host integration. I have installed my CentOS virtual machine on a VMWare Server host and now I want to install the VMWare tools.
How to install VMWare tools on a CentOS operating system?
Locate the VMWare tools ISO file for linux operating system. Most of the time there is an option like install “Integration tools”.
I am using VMWare Server 1 so the iso file can be found C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Server\linux.iso.
Login with VMWare Server Console to CentOS vm and mount the ISO to the cd-rom drive.
- mkdir /mnt/cdrom
- mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
Mount command will link the cdrom to the /mnt/cdrom directory. Now you can copy the rpm file to /tmp and start the installation process.
- cp /mnt/cdrom/VMwareTools-1.0.2-39867.i386.rpm /tmp
- cd /tmp
- rpm -i /tmp/VMwareTools-1.0.2-39867.i386.rpm
After the file has been installed start the vmware tools perl script
- VMware Tools for Linux Guests
- Running the vmware-config-tools.pl script on a Linux host fails due to kernel version mismatch