If you manage multiple computer systems than BgInfo tool from Microsoft (formal SysInternals) is the right tool to display relevant computer information (CPU,Hostname, IP/DNS/DHCP/Default Gateway, Memory,Disk,etc.) of the system. I am using this tool on all my virtual and physical host machines to identify what kind of system I am logged on. You can implement different background colors and identify type of machine your are working on. For example use RED for physical host machines; BLUE for virtual machines and YELLOW for lab machines. Couple years ago I also implemented this tool and used the corporate wallpaper on 500+ desktop clients; we also included the numbers of helpdesk and other important information.
Picture 1. BgInfo Netowknet Wallpaper
Below I will summarize 10 steps how to download, configure and prepare your system with Networknet BgInfo template.
- Download the tool from Microsoft website here; open the the zip file
- Copy BgInfo.exe to C:\Windows
- Run BgInfo.exe to register the .bgi extentions
- Download my Bgi file from http://www.networknet.nl/apps/content/Networknet.bgi
- Open Networknet.bgi file and modify if needed; save the file to C:\Windows like bginfo.bgi
- Right click BgInfo.exe and select “Create Shortcut”
- Right click the BgInfo.exe – Shortcut and change the target to C:\Windows\Bginfo.exe c:\windows\bginfo.bgi /timer:0; click OK
- Copy the shortcut
- Goto C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
- Paste the shortcut