One week after we closed 2010, it’s time for me to reflect on the past year of Networknet.nl blogging. It has been a busy year for me and I’ve had many personal and business initiatives. As much as I wanted to publish my ideas, solutions or problems that I solve I could not find the time and energy to do that. I prefer publishing quality content rather than copy and paste from other sources. Networknet.nl blog may not have my full attention but others did. I wanted to summarize some of them.
- Getting married. April 2010 my wife Kimberly and me got married after being 4 years together
- Setting up a CMS website for our wedding preparation
- ISO2010.nl website become recently online. My new website focusing on digital photography where I am sharing my work, articles and frequent news updates
- Photography: Beginning on 2010 I followed a studio photography course
- 3 other personal projects to help some relatives bringing them online with a CMS website. Also a WordPress site was brought online just before Christmas
2010 was also a year of traveling
- Malaysia for our honeymoon
- Mallorca (Spain)
- Little Rock, AR, US for Windows 7 migration
- New York, NY, US for holiday
- Germany for Windows 7 meetings and a Global IT Meeting
The new year just begon and I am already sitting at Shanghai airport for the Windows 7 migration in China. I would like to thank you for being here. Almost 200000 of you had visited my blog last year. In some weeks we will reach 500000 visitors since I started to monitor the traffic back in april 2008. I see various topics being found on google and 82.5% of the page views resulted from a search on google. For me I would like to focus more on those areas. a) CentOS, b) VMWare, c) Microsoft, d) PowerShell and e) best practices.
Top 5 posts
- CentOS how to change hostname? 39000 page views
- Failed to lock the file! VMWare virtual disk (vmdk) 21000 page views
- VMWare: Failed to start VMware VirtualCenter Server service? 8400 page views
- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806) failed 6000 page views
- PowerShell: delete files older than x days 6000 page views
On weekly basis I deal with Microsoft and VMWare challenges and issues. I am developing a small knowledge base like posting principle where I describe a solution/problem statement and how I deal with that. Internet is a great place but sometimes difficult to find right source to solve your problem or bring you to a new idea. I started adding video content on some recent posts and I will continue to do that as much as possible.
2010 was year of two big implementation projects. While finalizing the first one beginning of the year the second one took almost 75% the rest of the year.
- Implementing Microsoft Sharepoint 2007 server to replace legacy Frontpage extensions websites and replacing the company’s management system with Sharepoint Services
- Optimizing the client platform
- Engineering a thick based image on Windows 7, Office 2010 and 5 localized languages
- Engineering a Microsft Application Virtualization (App-V) full infrastructure
- Roll out of VMWare ESXi4 in various locations world wide
- Engineering a VMWare image based on Windows Server 2008 R2 to be used as server core
- Implementing roaming profiles, redirected folders and offline files for all company users
- OS, user and data migration
The list is endless but just to give you some examples where I worked on last year. Many times I was helped by fellow IT professionals to solve my problems while working on these two projects. Year 2011 will be mainly focusing on re-branding the blog, new content structure, publishing according posting principle and most import for me to share my experience and best practices while I implemented various systems.